Sunday, January 6, 2013

I win Japan.

By process of elimination I diagnosed what was causing the lapdock to think it was open or closed.

I started with the Battery, audio, keyboard and then the purple ribbon.

The culprit is the purple Ribbon!



Once that was identified I switched back to the circiut board from the other lapdock and isolated JUST the purple ribbon. Yes, this was it.



I then removed the other end of the purple ribbon from they keyboard tray:


I am going to put back together the other lapdock and then see about..... you know what I am just going to leave it here and someone else can figure out how to trick it into thinking that the magnet is attached...

Aside from jumping the ribbon onto itself or cutting it which I don't want to mess with ATM.

2 comments:

  1. You have the operation of the lid switch all wrong. That black strip is just an insulator and the magnet is behind the bezel of the LCD just to the right of top center. On the PCB side with the switches in the corner is what looks like a SMT transistor but is in fact a Hall Effect Sensor IC. When you shut the lid the south pole of the magnet behind the LCD bezel sits over the Hall Effect Sensor which pulls it's output low

    Now in my case I'm embedding MK808B in a Bionic Lapdock and I plan on disabling the lid switch and will switch the HDMI CEC line to turn the unit on and off. None of my other laptops turn off that way although they do blank the screen which is nice but not a necessity .... Keeping accidental resets which cause the lapdock to limit the resolution choices or hosing the file system from happening is a necessity

    I haven't found the exact manufacturer of this device but all of the 3 terminal devices like this use a pull up resistor to keep the output high (lid open) and the Hall Effect Sensor pulls the output low when activated (lid closed) By simply removing the IC and leaving the pullup resistor in place the line is always high and the lid 'looks' like it's always open to the lapdock

    Everything will be hardwired and neatly packaged as I want this to actually be portable and self contained without the Frankenwire assembly

    As you can see from my blog this ain't my first rodeo .... http://netbook2chartplotter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Have you managed to embed the MK808 in the lapdock?
      I'm very much interested in how did you managed to do it.

      I'm also planning to do this with an Android stick or with an Odroid U3, so if you could send some instructions and/or pictures on how did you do it, that would be great!

      Thanks in advance!

      Delete